I really couldn’t figure out something worth blogging about today. I pondered, what has actually impacted my literacy? Suddenly I realized duh… technology! Technology has had a MASSIVE impact on my literacy. Ever since I got my laptop, my phone, and my iPod,. I have wasted time engulfed in a world that I probably would have been better off without. I mean, don't get me wrong, technology IS my friend a lot of the time, and it CAN be a great research and communications tool. But come on, in all honesty kids now-a days spend hours a day on the computer, probably (added up) days a month on their phone, and it’s ridiculous. If we spent half the time we spend on our computers browsing facebook, you tube...twitter, whatever floats your boat, and we took that time to actually read? I'd say that our lives would be massively impacted.
Yesterday, Leah and I were in Barns and Noble just browsing around waiting for our dad to finish running some errands, and as we looked around at all different sorts of books- it hit me. There is SO much for us to learn out in the world!! I know this sounds corny, but I'm serious! There's everything from history of our own country, to the artistic history of Africa…Chemistry…Math… Astronomy…pottery…law…criminal justice… There are so many different things to learn about out there, and some of them are truly interesting! Imagine all the time wasted on facebook spent learning about a new culture, learning how to make something... wood work, jewelry, glass blowing... hey who knows!! But if you don't get out in the world and try it out new stuff, you truly wontt know what you are missing!
Don't get me wrong, technology has also impacted my literacy in good ways. It has helped me to find different literature, or research different backgrounds on authors, find poems, find all sorts of stuff. I really appreciate the fact that it helps me stay in contact with friends all over the world and people I don’t get to see every day. So yes, I'm thankful for technology, I just really need to learn how to manage my time and use it responsibly. I have mostly been talking about the internet and computer, but my iPod also contributes to this whole cycle. I love my iPod, I listen to it all the time, in the car, working out, ect. I think it's a good thing to that extent because at those times it's not like I'm doing nothing, but when I think about it all the other times I'm listening to my iPod, those are times that could have been spent reading and exploring all sorts of literature. So, technology has definitely impacted my literacy in many ways.
No comments:
Post a Comment